THE NO-JOKE DESSERT:
There always seems to be a bit of humor when talking about bananas… (INSERT JOKE HERE) but I can assure you the only punchline for this no-frills banana cake recipe is how easy it is to make.
12 ounces unsalted butter + 2 ¼ cups sugar + 4 eggs + 2 1/2 cups flour + ½ cup toasted-walnut flour (see recipe below) + 1 ½ tsp. salt + 1 tsp. baking powder + 1 tsp. baking soda + 3 ripe bananas + 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream butter and sugar for 10 minutes
- Add eggs one at a time
- Prepare toasted-walnut flour by toasting 1/2 cup walnuts; process in a food processor until finely ground; combine with flour
- Add dry ingredients
- Mash bananas and blend with sour cream
- Add banana-sour cream mixture
- Spoon batter into a buttered, floured sheet pan
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch
8 ounces cream cheese + 8 ounces butter + 2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar + 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Subtle nuttiness from the toasted-walnut flavor and super-moist cake thanks to sour cream, makes for the perfect dessert or minis for any fete. I like to make a batch, cut into shapes and freeze pieces in heavy-duty ziplock bags so I can create/consume on demand.