Southwest Florida seems about right. Naples? Ft. Myers? Nah, Sanibel Island is the ultimate in relaxation. Most people ask, “Where’s that?” Now that’s a welcomed response for this island off the grid.
In our urban lifestyle of commuting, shuffling Kid A from school to all his activities and packing lunches, Sanibel offers relaxation and quiet with unique island-y activities and play only a bike ride away. With its white-sand, sea-shelled covered beaches, Sanibel has become our getaway of getaways. And it’s such a great place – we got married there.
THE BUCKET LIST:
- Rent bikes to cruise the 20-plus miles of bike paths
- Breakfast at The Lighthouse Café. Arrive early as there’s always a wait
- Tarpon Bay Explorers for kayaking, guided tours aboard pontoon boat, and touch tank for the kids
- Fried Grouper sandwich with house-made potato chips at Gramma Dot’s· The beach for shelling, wading on sand bars, bird and dolphin watching
- Late-afternoon bike through Ding Darling Wildlife Preserve for exercise and bird and GATOR watching
- Doc Ford’s for drinks, apps and key-lime pie
- 8:30 bedtime